What You Need to Know About New Jersey Rideshare Accidents
Rideshare companies such as Uber and Lyft provide a popular mode of transportation for New Jersey residents. However, when we use rideshare services, we put our trust in a complete stranger to get us to our destination safely. The majority of these drivers will act responsibly, but accidents still happen.
What Causes of Rideshare Accidents?
Accidents involving Uber and Lyft vehicles can happen for a variety of reasons, but mostly, these crashes are the direct result of negligence. Some of the most common forms of negligence include the following:
- Illegal turns
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving drowsy
- Texting while driving
- Recklessly changing lanes
- Driving recklessly, such as ignoring traffic lights, signs, and failing to follow the rules of the road.
Who Is Liable After an Uber or Lyft Accident?
It is often difficult to determine liability in an Uber and Lyft accident in New Jersey because the drivers are categorized as independent contractors instead of employees. However, depending on the circumstances of the case, Uber and Lyft may offer injured parties liability coverage up to a certain amount. This is dependent on whether the driver was on the clock at the time of the accident. The liability coverage system for Uber and Lyft is as follows:
- Period 0. This is when the driver is not logged into the rideshare application. If a crash takes place at this time, Uber or Lyft will not offer liability coverage.
- Period 1. This is when the driver is logged into the app but has not accepted a fare. If he or she causes a crash during this time, Uber or Lyft will provide coverage up to $50,000 per person injured in the crash, $100,000 total injury liability per accident, and $25,000 in property damage liability.
- Period 2. When a driver has accepted a fare and causes a crash while en route, the liability coverage is increased to $1 million.
- Period 3. This is when a crash takes place when the rider is traveling in the Uber or Lyft vehicle. In this case, Uber or Lyft will provide courage of up to $1 million, including limited coverage for damage to the driver’s vehicle and uninsured motorists’ coverage.
If you or a family member has been injured in a New Jersey Uber/Lyft accident, contact Brady, Brady, & Reilly, LLC today to discuss your case with a dedicated attorney.
New Jersey Rideshare Accidents
Those who are injured in a crash involving a rideshare vehicle should consult with an Uber/Lyft crash lawyer in New Jersey immediately in order to better understand their legal options. The legal team at Brady, Brady, & Reilly, LLC is here to help you make sure that your case is treated fairly and that the liable driver is held accountable for his or her actions. We will fight to make sure that you recover the compensation you deserve so that your life can get back on track. Contact our New Jersey rideshare crash attorneys today at (201) 997- 0030 if you or a loved one has been unfairly injured in a crash involving a rideshare driver.