Hon James C. Welsh (Ret’d)
[vc_row][vc_column][/vc_column][/vc_row]James C. Welsh heads our Workers’ Compensation Department. Judge Welsh has more than forty-three (43) years of experience handling workers’ compensation cases with the last twenty-two (22) as a Judge of Workers’ Compensation in Essex and Hudson counties. In retirement, he was the Supervising Judge in Hudson County. He has received various awards from the Hudson County Bar Association including:
- May 3, 2006 – For commitment to Fair and Legal Treatment to Petitioners and Respondents Alike;
- September 24, 2010 – He received the Hon. Louis J. Camisa Award of Merit for Lifetime Achievement in the Administration Of Justice; and on
- October 8, 2014 – For Recognition of 21 years of Service To Hudson County as a Workers Compensation Judge Whose Humor, Wisdom, Compassion & Fairness Benefited Everyone.
He oversees our workers’ compensation practice working with Steven Hummell and Matthew R. Pomo to serve our clients better. Before his service on the bench, Judge Welsh had an active legal practice in Kearny where he specialized in all aspects of the legal profession. He founded the Kearny Legal Center, and spent many years representing clients in Civil, Criminal, and Worker’s Compensation Courts.
In addition, Judge Welsh was the Township Prosecutor, Township Attorney, Board of Health Attorney, and Associate Counsel to the Union County Welfare Board. He spent 13 years on the Township Committee of Hillside, serving as Mayor, Public Works Commissioner, and Fire and Police Commissioner. He also served as the Chairman and Vice-chairman of the Union County Board of Chosen Freeholders.
Areas of Practice
- Workers’ Compensation College, ICLE, 2012 – 2015
Honors and Awards
- Hudson County Bar Association for “Commitment to Fair & Equal Treatment to Petitioners & Respondents”, May 3, 2006 – Present
- Hudson County Bar Association for “Lifetime Achievement in Administration of Justice”, September 2, 2010 – Present
- Hudson County Bar Association for “21 years of Service to Hudson Co.”, October 8, 2014 – Present