All About Uber/Lyft Accidents in New Jersey
Common Causes of Uber/Lyft Crashes
Even if a driver is operating for a rideshare service, it does not mean that they will be liable in the event of a New Jersey rideshare crash. Sadly, Uber and Lyft drivers have been known to act recklessly and cause car crashes. The most common forms of negligence include the following:
- Texting and driving
- Using other electronic devices while operating a vehicle
- Failing to obey traffic signs or signals
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Excessive speeding or reckless driving
- Distracted driving
- Drowsy driving
What to Do After a New Jersey Rideshare Accident
If you are the victim of an Uber/Lyft accident in New Jersey, there some important things that you need to do, including:
- Save any communications that occurred on the app between yourself and the driver
- Save any responses or communication from the ridesharing company
- Document as much as you can at the scene of the accident, including the license plate of the vehicle you were traveling in
- Do not speak to the driver, their insurance provider, or any representatives from the rideshare company
- Consult with a skilled New Jersey personal injury attorney to ensure your case is filed within the two-year statute of limitations
Who Is Liable for the Crash?
The liability coverage system for Uber and Lyft is as follows:
- When the rideshare driver is not logged into the rideshare app. In this case, Uber or Lyft would not provide liability coverage in the event of a crash.
- When the driver is logged in to the app but has not yet accepted a fare. If the driver causes a crash in this situation, Uber or Lyft will provide liability coverage of up to $50,000 per person injured in the crash, $100,000 total injury liability per accident, and $25,000 in property damage liability.
- When a driver has accepted a fare and is traveling to the passenger and causes a crash. In this case, the liability coverage will increase to $1 million.
- When a collision takes place when the rider is in the Uber or Lyft vehicle at the time of the crash. In this case, Uber or Lyft will provide coverage of up to $1 million, including limited coverage for damage to the driver’s vehicle and uninsured motorist’s coverage.
Rideshare Accidents in New Jersey
Those who are injured in a crash involving a rideshare vehicle should consult with an Uber/Lyft crash lawyer in New Jersey immediately in order to better understand their legal options. The legal team at Brady, Brady, & Reilly, LLC is here to help you make sure that your case is treated fairly and that the liable driver is held accountable for his or her actions. We will fight to make sure that you recover the compensation you deserve so that your life can get back on track. Contact our New Jersey rideshare crash attorneys today at (201) 997- 0030 if you or a loved one has been unfairly injured in a crash involving a rideshare driver.